What Trump Is Doing to Damage Our Government and Your Income, Health and Safety
What the Trump Administration did to our government and to you in its first year is the subject of our Editor-in-Chief David Cay Johnston’s new book, published by Simon & Schuster.
It’s Even Worse Than You Think explores how Trump promised voters one thing and then did the opposite for children, education, the environment, veterans, worker safety and the economy. Instead of draining the swamp, Trump has turned Washington into a federally protected paradise for swamp monsters.
The book has been heavily covered by competing German television shows. Two German crews filmed David in Manhattan. David had done live appearances on German television where his book is titled Trump in Amt (Trump In Office) as well as interviews with broadcast news organizations and print publications in Australia, Britain and Canada.
David will also be speaking to groups that have invited him or decide now to invite him, in the U.S., Canada and Europe.
David’s book explains in plain English how the Trump Administration:
- Stopped posting information about workers killed on the job. Previously the information at the very least shamed companies that did not take care to protect workers from injury or death.
- Cut environmental inspectors, reducing the number of cases that could be brought in the future against polluters, thereby emboldening other firms to spew toxic wastes.
- Blocked a rule, in the name of ending excessive regulation, requiring that bus and truck drivers be tested for sleep apnea, a treatable malady, which will certainly result in people dying when drivers fall asleep at the wheel and lose control of their vehicles.
- Sought to cut veterans benefits despite promising to expand support for veterans.
- Forced a senior government executive who worked on climate change issues to become a clerk processing oil royalty checks when he refused to resign, as many others did under pressure.
- Helped, and continues to help, China expand its economic and political power at the expense of Americans through mishandling trade policy.
David’s book follows his 2016 bestseller The Making of Donald Trump, which documented Trump’s extensive criminal connections, especially with a major cocaine trafficker. What David reported in that book has now been reaffirmed in Michael Wolff’s book Fire and Fury.
It’s Even Worse Than You Think is the other side of the story told in The Making and the Wolff book. Instead of exploring who Trump is and what his allies say about him, David’s new book explains what the administration is doing to damage our government and your income, health and safety.